Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Dollhouse

The dollhouse is done! Okay so it's not complete but it's as done as it's going to get for now.

I started with this bookshelf:

I made all the room dividers and the additional peak out of scrap wood from another item we had in our house but was falling apart. I glued and nailed all the walls in place. I used a jigsaw to cut out the windows on the side of the house (that is NOT my favorite power tool). I cut the doorways between rooms out before I glued the walls in place. I'm eventually going to put railing along the top next to the attic room but I'm going to wait until Ari is older as she's still a little rough with things and I'm afraid it would just break off. I then painted it white.
Then I gathered up all my scrapbook papers and some Mod Pogde and started decorating. I also used acrylic paint to do the base colors. Make sure that when you adhere your papers to the wall that you put the glue on the paper first otherwise you will get bubbles in your paper (you might still get some bubbles the larger your paper is, but not nearly as bad). Oh, and don't forget to coat over your papers after they are in place with more Mod Podge. I'm still figuring out what I want to do for the flooring in the top rooms. I also plan to do wall hangings and other small trinkit but I'll probably have Ari help me make them.

As you can see Ari has lots of dolls but is sparse on the furniture. That will come later. My Mom is talking about getting her some for her birthday and I'll probably make some also to give to here for her b-day.
Bedroom
Attic

This room makes me think of a bathroom. I'll probably get some scrap linoleum to finish the floor with.
Bedroom
Living Room
I plan to make this room the kitchen/dinning room.
I know some of you requested instructions, so if you have any questions leave a comment and I will try to answer them as best as I can!

Oh and here are some links for some more ideas for the dollhouse:
Make your own Dollhouse Furniture
Another Homemade Dollhouse
Dollhouse Furniture with Everyday Objects
Homemade Miniature Villa

19 comments:

Jessica said...

go to a carpet store and ask if they have any free scraps or old colors that they no longer sell...then cut them to size and glue them down in the house. Maybe you can do the same with the lineloium...sp?

Jessica

le35 said...

That is fantabulous!!!!

Melissa Smith said...

That is so cute, I love it.

Samantha Scow said...

If I finally have a girl will you make me a doll house. I don't think Jacob would be to happy if the boys played with a doll house.

Our Corner said...

What a great idea. I love it!

Andy Porter said...

I love how you made that out of a bookshelf! That turned out so dang cute! You are a krafty mum!! The individual rooms turned out great! My girls would die for that!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Great Idea! I love it! very Krafty!

Pam @ This Humble House said...

Cute! Very creative! I bet your daughter loves it - she will probably make her own furniture before you get a chance...

Unknown said...

That is adorable! I never would have thought to use a bookshelf for that

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

Love this! I remember my dollhouse as a little kid and it was that masonite/cardboard mixture that fell apart. I then took to creating my own that covered my entire playroom's floor - too bad we didn't think about this! I may just have to take my hubby's three tier shelf unit and do this for my little girl. Thanks for sharing!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Every little girl needs a dollhouse and your little one has the most special one...its beautiful...

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

That is the most clever thing I've ever seen. I love it. I would never have thought of that. I love all the colors and all the pretty papers too. Just precious. Hugs, Marty

jninecostumes said...

That is the most amazing Idea for a dollhouse!

Unknown said...

You are very clever! Fabulous dollhouse! You decorated the rooms so beautifully! Great job! Bravo!

Tina

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did a great job! Very nice.

Kitty Scraps said...

Very clever idea to use a bookcase! I love it!

Melissa @ Southern Mommas said...

wow- this is the best idea ever! I am going to have to make one of these for my little lady bug's new playroom. thanks for sharing

Julia said...

Oh I love dollhouses - what a great idea!

ImagineCozy said...

So cute! What a creative way to use a bookcase. My daughter would love it.
-Angela

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online