Saturday, July 25, 2009

Baby Doll Diapers

We went for a visit to my parents' house a couple of weeks ago. The kids were able to spend some time with their cousins including the smallest ones which were 8 months old. Before the trip Ari didn't really play much with her dolls, but after spending time with real babies she wanted to play mommy with her babies. I had a sample newborn diaper that I let her use to pretend to change the doll's bum. I knew the diaper wouldn't last very long before it wouldn't work anymore, so I laid out a diaper and did a rough draft of a pattern to make a cloth diaper. It took a couple of tries and a few alterations before getting one that would fit right. Now Ari has several diapers to use and I have some to sell in my shop, KraftyMum's Specialties.

Even Baby Jasmine is sporting a Diaper!!!
Here's Ari hard at work!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Make your own sew-in labels

Here's how I made my own sew-in labels:
Iron-On Transfer Paper
Ribbon (I used 7/8" grossgrain) or Twill Tape
Computer and Printer
Graphics program (paint, gimp, photoshop, etc)

First you need to create your design. I hand drew my "KM" logo and then scanned it into GIMP and did a little touch-up on it. Then I just added a small border and the text I wanted. I made my labels 3 inches wide and 1 in high (270 pixels wide by 90 pixels high).

Once you have your design you will need to flip the image so it is mirrored. I then used word to complete the project. I set the page up with narrow margins and 3 columns with a width of 2.43 and spacing between columns at 0.1. I then copied my design from gimp and pasted it into word. I just pasted one and then printed it out to make sure it would fit on my ribbon. When it fit I then filled all the columns with the design. ****Make sure your image is mirrored****

I printed the page out onto the iron-on transfer paper that I purchased at Walmart but it can be found at most craft stores. I then cut out one of the labels and figured out how long I should make the ribbon. (You need enough excess ribbon so you can roll it under at each end to sew it down). My ribbon length wound up being 3-3/8 inches.

Now center each label on your ribbon and iron them on according to the instructions that came with your transfer paper. It took some experimenting to transfer completely. Also the grossgrain ribbon made it a little harder to get the label to transfer completely without leaving gaps.

I then used a lighter to heat seal all the ribbon ends so that they don't unravel. Then I centered the label on the item and with the ends curled under I sewed down each side of the ribbon. I didn't sew the top and bottom of mine but you can if you want.

Here's what it looks like on the finished item.

I want to give credit to this website for the idea: Burdastyle

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Re-Do of wooden heart hangers

I had purchased these hearts unfinished at hobby lobby for $1 a piece and then Modge Podged scrapbook paper on them for my daughter but they never went to use so I decided to re-do them. Sorry I didn't get a before picture.
I wanted to use them in my bathroom to hang the kids' hooded towels on and our bathroom is in black and white decor.

I didn't like how bold the lines were when I was done so I scratched them up with sandpaper.
I then finished it with a Polyurethane finish.
Here they are on the wall with the rest of the decor.
Doesn't exactly go along with the decor but they will work for now!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Quilt Creations

So I've been doing a lot of brainstorming for some fun and unique quilt designs. It took some brainstorming, some revision, and some inspiration from my Hubby to put them together.

Drum Roll Please..................................... TaDa!!!

I would love to hear what you think.
Right now I have a mini version of this quilt available at my KrafyMum shop, but I will have a larger version available soon!

Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Bookcase is Done!

My husband and I have been working on building a bookcase. We built it from whitewood that we purchase at Lowes. It's been an interesting project and Patrick has sure enjoyed learning to do woodworking. It turned out pretty good considering the lack of tools that we have. We bought the trim premade. It was Patrick's idea to put the handles in the bookcase to make moving it easier.

Stuffed full and still some books laying around! Patrick wants to build another one but we're going to wait until we have some more tools so we can do a better job.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Still Here!

Just wanted to write a quick note saying that I'm still here, I've been gone on vacation and really busy with trying to catch up on the housework. I do have several projects going and will hopefully be posting them soon. Some posts to look forward to:
Baby Quilt
Wood Clock
Baby Doll Clothes made easy!

Most of these I hope to finish by the end of next week. Time is ticking down fast for when the new baby will be here and I've got to get as much done as possible.

blogger templates | Make Money Online