Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Dollhouse

The dollhouse is done! Okay so it's not complete but it's as done as it's going to get for now.

I started with this bookshelf:

I made all the room dividers and the additional peak out of scrap wood from another item we had in our house but was falling apart. I glued and nailed all the walls in place. I used a jigsaw to cut out the windows on the side of the house (that is NOT my favorite power tool). I cut the doorways between rooms out before I glued the walls in place. I'm eventually going to put railing along the top next to the attic room but I'm going to wait until Ari is older as she's still a little rough with things and I'm afraid it would just break off. I then painted it white.
Then I gathered up all my scrapbook papers and some Mod Pogde and started decorating. I also used acrylic paint to do the base colors. Make sure that when you adhere your papers to the wall that you put the glue on the paper first otherwise you will get bubbles in your paper (you might still get some bubbles the larger your paper is, but not nearly as bad). Oh, and don't forget to coat over your papers after they are in place with more Mod Podge. I'm still figuring out what I want to do for the flooring in the top rooms. I also plan to do wall hangings and other small trinkit but I'll probably have Ari help me make them.

As you can see Ari has lots of dolls but is sparse on the furniture. That will come later. My Mom is talking about getting her some for her birthday and I'll probably make some also to give to here for her b-day.

This room makes me think of a bathroom. I'll probably get some scrap linoleum to finish the floor with.
Living Room
I plan to make this room the kitchen/dinning room.
I know some of you requested instructions, so if you have any questions leave a comment and I will try to answer them as best as I can!

Oh and here are some links for some more ideas for the dollhouse:
Make your own Dollhouse Furniture
Another Homemade Dollhouse
Dollhouse Furniture with Everyday Objects
Homemade Miniature Villa

Kids' Bedroom Makeover

I finally did some actual decorating in the kids' room. I just went with a circle or "bubbles" as the kids' call them.

Here are the curtains and the circles that I put around the upper portion of all the walls. I made the curtain out of some denim like fabric that I had in my stash and just painted the circles on with acrylic paint. The circles on the wall I cut out of cardboard and painted with acrylic paint (I painted the cardboard first and then cut the circles to make it easier). Because we rent the circles are just held up with tack adhesive putty.

Here's a shelf I made. I used some scrap wood I had and my dad's scroll saw. I just painted it and then added more cardboard circles. The blocks are a gift that Patrick's Mom has given the kids on their first birthday!

I found this online, it's call a Boon Trio and I have decided to make one. The second picture is my mini test experiment with some scrap fabric to figure out the pattern. Now I just need to order the zippers and then I can make it! I have to order a special make your own zippers kit because the size of zippers I need is longer than 36". I'll post pictures when it's done.
There's still one more big item that I'm working on with my dad for the kids' room, but you'll have to wait to see what that is! It'll be done sometime in June so stay tuned!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Jean and T-Shirt Quilt

I've been wanting to do this project for a while and have been storing the jeans and t-shirts in a tub. We've been doing some de-cluttering lately and that motivated me to get this project done so I can use the tub for something else. Basically I just used old t-shirts and jeans to piece this quilt together. I made it queen size for our bed and used a fleece sheet for the back. The large squares were 12 x 12, the small squares were 6.5 x 6.5, and the rectangles were 6.5 x 12 (everything is in inches).


blogger templates | Make Money Online