Monday, May 24, 2010

Frayed Fabric Bangles from Ribbon Spools

I have several empty ribbon spools lying around my house.  I didn’t want to throw them out without giving some thought on if I could recycle or reuse them.
DSC_0003_1441-1
So I came up with the idea to take off the cover, wrap some fabric around it and create these bangles:
DSC_0020_1458-1

Supplies:
Empty Ribbon Spools
Fabric
Hot glue gun
Scissors or rotary cutter
Tutorial:
Tear the front and back cover of the spool off so all you have left is the inner ring:
 DSC_0007_1445-1
You’ll want to make sure you tear off all the little extra papers that are still around the edges.
For the smaller spools I used a strip of fabric that was half of an inch wide (1/2”) and for the wider spool I used a strip that was 1 inch wide (1”).  The length of your strip will very depending on how much you overlap your fabric, but if you don’t have enough you can always add another strip to where you ended.
 DSC_0013_1451-1
Adhere one end of your strip to the inside of your circle using hot glue. 
 DSC_0017_1455-1
Then start wrapping the fabric around at an angle.  If you run out of fabric just cut another strip and start from the inside of your circle where you left off (be sure to adhere both ends with your hot glue).
 DSC_0018_1456-1
And there you have it Frayed Fabric Bangles
 DSC_0020_1458-1
*I did not treat mine with anything but I’m sure you could put a little Mod Podge over the fabric if you wanted
**FYI these are not water proof, they will probably ruin if they get really wet.

giveaways

7 comments:

Jamee said...

AWESOME!! i have plenty of empty and soon to be empty spools - i love it and must try it-WAY TO GO!! jameehomemaker.blogspot.com

Emily John said...

Those are darling!!

Jamee said...

I wanted to let you know I featured this craft on my blog and plan to do another post featuring it- i ll let you know when I use it again- thanks for sharing.
jameehomemaker.blogspot.com

Uska Hope said...

Parabéns!! Muita criatividade!! Elas são muito fofas!! Improviso, reciclagem, tudo de bom!!

Melissa Smith said...

How is the cardboard? Is it strong? What a fun idea.

Amber D said...

What a fun idea I will be doing this with my next empty roll. But taht might take a while. I wonder if you wraped the cardboard in a shelf paper of someking if that would help with the waterproof issue.

Mom2fur said...

What a great idea! Now I know what to do with those empty spools and the strips I tear off fabric edges. (Do all of us crafters save 'trash' with the idea it will someday be 'treasure', LOL?)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online